Tuesday, July 3, 2012

And then God says, "Surprise!"

This week has been wild and crazy. I think I met myself coming and going. After I wrote my last blog, I went back to the base to find out we were under pre-evacuation. Not even two hours later it turned into mandatory. And I found myself running out the door to my second family on the northern end of town. As I was driving, I looked back over my shoulder and could see the flames. I broke down crying then and there. My home was near the biggest natural disaster of the yer in the states and it might be eaten up by flames. At that point all I could think if was "I left my hairspray, if the fire reaches the base, it will explode." then relief came thru some laughter. The next few days were spent in intense watching of the fire and prep for outreach. I wasn't sure if I would be able to get back home to pack for Thailand, so I had a lot of extra stuff to do. I don't think I stopped to breathe. Then at 9am Friday morning, they lifted our evuavtion and I could go home! More goodbyes and packing followed. Tough but good. Sunday found me with 2 of my team members (Carol flew out of California), headed to the airport. We got there with plenty of time and took our time getting to our gate, only to find out our plane had been delayed. First an hour, then almost two and finally over two. When we landed in San Francisco, we raced across the airport, to arrive too late for our flight to Taiwan, which then lead to a flight to Bangkok. We were all filled with disappointment. I think, being tired and having had a stressful week, the rest looked grim. But God! After a harrowing, late night taxi ride through the streets of San Mateo, and a driver who tried to rip us off (God bless his socks off!), we ended up in the welcoming arms of the Comfort Inn. At 4:30am. A bit dazed, very tired and ready for sleep. God met me in my quiet time and promised me He had things under control and the morning would bring good things. Little did I know this stop in San Fran was JUST what He had ordered. We slept in and then, feeling refreshed, we headed out. We found a very cute place to eat called Kingston's Cafe and enjoyed fresh healthy food, great conversation and many books! We talked about the fire and debriefed about our weeks. Exactly what was needed. Now, we've just come from Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, where we enjoyed the sights, bought a few small souvenirs and ate like kings on fish and chips, clam chowder (in brea bowls no less!) and fried calamari. Pier 39 was my element. People and so many be aught sights, great smells and sounds! I was able to recharge my battery. My team leader told me that she's seen my beauty, but never so much as tonight when I was at home, with people. So, sometimes God says surprise, but remember this: He's our Daddy God and He only gives good gifts. Today's adventure has been one of the best I've ever experienced.

1 comment:

  1. I happen to like this post... And you. :) So excited for your upcoming time in Indonesia!! Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete