Saturday, November 20, 2010

Honoring Those Who Have Gone On Before...

Thursday was the day I chose to honor my Grandmother and to say my goodbyes to her. I wasn't sure how I was going to do that at first. How do you say goodbye when you are thousands of physical miles from the funeral and most likely will not see the grave for a long while? Those were the questions running through my head. I wrestled with a proper way to say goodbye, that would give me some closure and honor Grandma. Then an idea, I know prompted by the Great Comforter, began to form in my head. I went to Tesco's and bought some grapefruit juice. That was the beginning. It felt incomplete. What else could I do? Flowers. But as I walked the streets of Harlesden, I couldn't find any shops with flowers. I was frustrated and near the point of tears when I noticed ivy climbing up the fence of the house I was passing by. I then remembered the green plants my Grandma had in her home, especially before my Grandpa passed away, out on their front porch. I knew that ivy would be perfect. I picked a branch and took it home with me.

When I went to get a glass for my juice, I discovered one I hadn't noticed before that looked a LOT like the ones my Grandma had in her home. I poured juice, grabbed my ipod and the branch of ivy and headed to the backyard. There in the backyard, I prayed, I toasted my Grandmother, I laid ivy in remembrance of her and I said goodbye, all the while, worship music was playing. I didn't need her body to say a proper farewell, because, she is no longer in her body. She is in a much better place. I love the Grandmother I chose. I will see her again. She will not be forgotten as long as I still live.

3 comments:

  1. This is really encouraging. I just lost my grandmother, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nice, Ella! Dad and I are so glad God gave you a way to say your goodbyes. We love you!

    ReplyDelete