Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving All Around

This week marks the beginning of the holidays. This is my first set of holidays away from my family and that, let me tell you, is a weird feeling. On Thursday, while my family was celebrating Thanksgiving, back in the states, it was a pretty normal day here. A very busy normal day, for which I was incredibly thankful. The morning was probably the toughest for me, because while my mind was busy in class, my body wasn't.

Then evangelism came. Thursday was also The International Day for Elimination of Violence Against Women and we had some big plans for Harlesden. We hit the streets about 2:30. We were armed with an ipod speaker, a microphone, pamphlets and surveys. We set up shop in the center of Harlesden, our main location being the square. There were stations on each of the three main corners with people ready to ask the hard questions on the survey, as well as our BLS guys and gal on stilts to get people's attention. In the middle of the square, we set up the speakers and the microphone and let our message pulse through the community. Some of my loved ones gave incredible talks and testimonies. People stood ready to ask questions and give out pamphlets. There were prayer request boxes and willing ears. I got to be in the middle of all this with one of the coolest jobs. I was a living statue. Before leaving the house, makeup had been applied and a plan discussed. In the square, people saw the progression of abuse and redemption: a woman in the middle of being hit, a woman falling to the ground, a woman in pain, hopeless on the ground and then the best, a representation of Jesus pulling a woman out of the abuse. I got to portray the woman on the ground, in pain and hopeless. It impacted me so much, I can only pray that those images stay with people and impact them as well. I had my eyes closed, so I couldn't see the reactions of people, but I could hear them. One child's reaction was to say that it was scary. Abuse is scary. As conversations sifted around me, I prayed and contemplated the intense, internal hurt that abuse causes. It made things real for me. I really hope to be able to do this sort of evangelism again.

Today, is our base's Thanksgiving. Our Love Feast is Thanksgiving themed, so there will be turkey and all the trimmings. Though, I'm not sure it will taste exactly like the States. Take for example, my Green Bean Casserole, which is currently cooking. Somehow, I'm having to make do without French's Fried Onions and mushroom soup that's not condensed. But I'm so thankful that we're even getting this opportunity. While Thanksgiving food has been a large part of the celebration, the main point of the holiday is Thanks. I'm so thankful today. I have an incredible family in the States and a family in London that has surrounded me, loved me and protected me. I have a warm home and laughter daily. I have a heart that's healing. I have a God who is SO good and love's me with this absolutely crazy, wonderful, unconditional love.

So tonight will be full of thanks, worship, good food, laughter, jokes, games and family. I'm going to go pull out my casserole and pray that the Green Bean Soup turns into Grean Been Casserole. Happy Thanksgiving. Let this holiday season be a reminder of our Sovereign God's eternal love. :) God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment